Upgrades & Custom Mods
The Wiring Class is designed to give an overview on the common guitar circuit and it’s components. With instruction on proper soldering technique, I lead you through the process of replacing pickups, pots, switches and more.
We will begin with Video Presentation outlining how to properly wire a Fender style guitar cleanly for great sound. Following the DVD showing, we will will fill the room full of solder smoke! Replace your pickups and controls, or install a modified circuit. This is a basic overview on guitar electronics and it is designed for those with little or no soldering experience.
- How the pickups and electronic components function
- Basic soldering technique
- Using a multimeter
- Wiring a Strat
- How a volume control works
- How a tone control works
- Treble bypass cap
- Reverse-wind, reverse-polarity
- How a Strat circuit works
- Wiring and shielding a Tele
- Les Paul wiring and more
The class invites you to bring in your own projects.
Examples of what you can do in this class include:
- Replace/upgrade your pickups
- Replace/upgrade your pots, switches, jack
- Add custom switching for coil-tapping, series/parallel, in-phase/out-of-phase
- Shield your guitar
- Add a 5-way Rotary control for 5 different filtered tones
- Add 50’s wiring mod to your Gibson
- Add a Esquire Mod to your Tele
- Tone Cap upgrade (change over to Orange Drop, oil-filled etc)
- Add a Treble Bleed Mod
Due to the time allotted, please check with me on projects that fall outside of these guidelines. Please note: I do not supply wiring diagrams.
Approx. 3-4 Hours
What You’ll Need for the Class:
- Your Guitar
- A towel or mat to lay your guitar on (we will be using tables)
- A cloth or rag to protect your guitar while soldering
- 30W-40W Soldering Iron (pencil style work best) with a brand new tip
- A small cellulose sponge for cleaning your solder iron
- Fine electronic grade (22 gauge/ .032″), 60/40 rosin-core solder
- Desoldering braid can be helpful
- Tweezers and a Exacto Knife are helpful but not Mandatory
- Wire Strippers, Wire Cutters
- Any tools needed to remove any of the components being changed (sockets/wrenches/ screwdrivers)
- A Third Hand will make your life easier but is not mandatory
- Any Parts & Supplies you will be using for your project- make sure they fit in your guitar beforehand!
- A wiring diagram for your layout (freely available on the internet)
*Note that materials/supplies may be available for purchase in class. Please contact for more information.